Craighill Parent Council meets once a term to discuss a range of issues.
The chairperson is Andrew Mackenzie
The vice-chairperson is Samantha Ross
The secretary is Iona Mohan
The treasurer is Trisha Torrance
The minutes of the previous meeting can be accessed by clicking the link below:
The next meeting is on Tuesday 3rd May a 7.15pm
What are the main duties of the Parent Council?/De na priomh dhleastanasan aig Comhairle nam Parant?
The first duty of the Parent Council is to represent the views of the parents at the school.
There are many things a Parent Council could get involved in, including:
- Supporting the work of the school, for example, by advising the school on its policies
- Being involved in the appointment of senior staff
- Organising social and fundraising events
- Promoting contact between all parents and the rest of the school community Discussing anything that’s of interest to parents
What has the Craighill Parent Council Achieved?/De tha Comhairle nam Parant Cnoc na Creige air coileanadh?
Over the years the parent council:
- ensured that there was minimum disruption to the school during the building of the new health centre;
- fought to have a large grass pitch added to the back of the school in compensation for the playing area that was lost to site the new health centre;
- fought to save the classroom assistant posts to ensure that the children in Craighill benefitted from their input. This was in partnership with other parent councils when Highland Council suggested that they would remove classroom assistants as part of a cost cutting initiative;
- argued successfully to have appropriate fencing installed between the school and the new health centre;
- raised large sums of money to pay for
- library books
- PE equipment
- games for the children
- dictionaries for the P7 leavers
- help with the cost of school trips
- various school resources.
Future Role of Craighill Parent Council/Obair Comhairle nam Parant san am ri teachd.
As you may know Tain is likely to have a new school within the next 3 years. The type of school will be for children from 3 to 18 and all on the one campus. It is vital that parents from Craighill get involved with the officials from the council to ensure our views are heard in order that we get a school which will meet the needs of the children of our town.
Links which you might find useul are:
- Scottish Parent Teacher Council – SPTC is the national organization for parents’ groups in Scottish schools. They offer help and advice to all parents.
- National Parent Forum of Scotland – The NPFS was set up to give Parent Councils and Parents an opportunity to discuss and raise educational issues of mutual interest or concerns at a national level.
- ParentZone – a useful site for all parents and carers.